Caligo Safe Wash Relief Inks will handle and print like any traditional oil-based ink but these inks have been formulated so they can be safely and easily washed away with soap and water. You don't need solvents to clean up Caligo Safe Wash Relief Inks.
These inks are heavily pigmented. To extend the ink or make it more transparent, add Caligo Safe Wash Relief Ink Extender. To thin the ink so it spreads easily, add Caligo Safe Wash Oil (Thinner)or #000 Burnt Plate Oil. Caligo Safe Wash Oil contains the same emulsifier that allows for soap and water clean-up. If you use #000 Burnt Plate Oil, use as little as possible or you may lose the ability to clean up with soap and water. Add any thinner sparingly since details may be lost if the ink becomes too fluid. Tack Reducer is a transparent gel made from a very light drying oil. Adding small amounts to the ink will reduce tack so the ink spreads out more readily and evenly. Gamblin Magnesium Carbonate stiffens the ink and reduces the ink's gloss level. To speed up drying time, add Cranfield Wax Drier. Mix up to 3% of the Wax Drier paste into the ink on the slab with an ink knife. This modifier will reduce drying time and improve the mark and rub resistance of the dried print surface. Test for suitability before using on a large scale, multi-color, or reduction print.
- Oil-based ink for all relief techniques including woodcut, linocut, monotype, engraving, and Solarplate
- Soap and water clean up - no solvents required
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Ink will not reactivate with water after it is fully dry
- Lightfast and highly pigmented
- Excellent for any studio where solvents cannot be used